7/17/13

Blueberry Pie

This pie was a birthday request from a friend. I am really happy to share my grandpa SugarBoy's pie crust recipe. I have been making pie crusts with him for as long as I can remember. This was my first time making a lattice top, as I don't make too many pies that aren't pumpkin… hmmmm pumpkin pie! I do have to give a shout out to my friend Nick for being my helper on this one; He mixed the filling while I worked on the crust which takes a bit more time to get right. He also put up with my photography while he was baking away, so thank you!
inspiration found here!

Ingredients:
For the filling:
3 cups frozen blueberries
1/3 cup sugar
1-1/2 Tbl spoons cornstarch
1 Tbl spoon lemon juice
1 Tbl spoon sugar 

For the crust with lattice top:
2 cups flour 
1 Tbl spoon cold water 
1 cup of cold butter


Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 F
Mix flour with cold water and butter. Mix well but do not over work; the more you work the dough the less fluffy and airy the crust will be. Spread flour out over the surface you are going to roll dough out on, and keep a handful or two near by to apply to your roller and your dough if it gets to sticky while your working it. Roll out half of the dough into a circular shape a couple of inches wider than the top of your pie tin. Make sure you roll evenly across the dough till it's about a quater of an inch thick.

Place the pie tin upside down and flip the dough over with the tin so it settles into the bottom of the tin right side up. There should be some dough hanging over the sides; bunch this up to make the crusts edge. I like to roll the excess back over and pinch it between my thumb and my pointer and middle finger to give it that rustic look. With a fork to place a few holes in the bottom of the crust to allow air bubbles to escape. Set this crust aside.

Roll out the rest of the dough in another circular shape, again a couple inches wider than the tin. This time you are going to cut out straight lines with a knife. These will be weaved together over the filling to create a lattice top. The strips can be a wide as you want them to be.

Combine the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Add the blueberries to the sugar mixture and toss gently to coat. Pour the filling into pie tin. Spread out evenly.

Lastly add the strips on top. Start by putting half the strips going one direction. Then lay the half on top of them at a 90 degree angle. Then weave them under and over each other.

Place the pie tin on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 15 minutes.  After reduce the oven temperature to 350 F and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.

Allow the pie to set for at least 2 hours before cutting into it.












No comments:

Post a Comment