11/6/13

Pumpkin Apple Dutch Crunch Pie

I dearly love pumpkin pie! It is my all time favorite food! I once tried a pumpkin apple dutch crunch pie from my favorite pie lady in Chico, the Sweet Cottage! If you are ever in Chico in the summer on a Thursday afternoon, or a Saturday morning (year around), check her out at the farmers markets. She has the best teas and ice cream sandwiches as well as the best pies around! Anyway, I decided to try to replicate her pie for thanksgiving this year. For a number of years I have been in charge of the pumpkin pie for my families thanksgiving. I have tried lots of different ways to make it: from scratch, with whipped egg whites for a fluffier pie, but this one is my new favorite. Next time however I am going to add a crust because homemade crust is the best part of a pie! 

















INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups chopped peeled apples (2 small)
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
2 tablespoons flour (use Pamela's flour for Gluten Free) 
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Whipped cream, if desired


Heat oven to 350°F. Spread apples over bottom of 9-inch glass pie plate. Microwave uncovered on High 4 to 6 minutes or until apples are crisp-tender.

Meanwhile, in small bowl, toss 3/4 cup flour, the brown sugar, butter and 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice until crumbly. Set aside.


In medium bowl, beat remaining ingredients except whipped cream with wire whisk until smooth. Pour over apples. Sprinkle with flour mixture. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and set. Cool 20 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream.







1 comment:

  1. This sounds, (and looks), really delicious! Hope we can get together and make it over the upcoming holidays!

    ReplyDelete